Update on our plans for summer 202116 Mar 2021, Posted by Uncategorized in
Dear Kivita campers, families, friends and supporters,
Every year In January we open registration for summer camp and we know that many of you have questions about our plans for the summer. The Kivita team has always been focused on being transparent, direct and thoughtful in considering how to communicate to our campers and families. The last year has been one of challenges and resilience, hope and loss for our community. Like you, we have eagerly anticipated the coming back together in person to share in the joy and magic of camp.
In this spirit and with very heavy hearts we are writing to share that we will not be able to provide in person camp again this summer due to the ongoing nature of the covid-19 pandemic. Your health and safety are our top priority and there is no scenario in which we can safely provide in person camp this year. We know this news will be extremely frustrating, difficult and challenging and we join you in feeling sad and disappointed as this is a deep loss for all of us. We were excited to meet new friends and catch up with our returning campers. We greatly miss your smiles and laughter, and being together in all the wonder that is our summer camp. We know that you are strong and resilient, but also that each of you have sacrificed so much over the last year.
We want you to know a few important things:
1) We remain 100% committed to our Kivita campers and families – we WILL get back to camp and our dates for summer 2022 are: August 28 – Friday Sept 2, 2022. The kivita magic WILL endure.
2) To our oldest campers and leaders-in-training – those who would have had their final summer last year or this year – Next year we will expand our age cutoff so that you can come back to camp for your final summer – this is our promise to you.
3) We will be launching our virtual programming in the spring. We know there is a strong need for connection and continuity and we are going to ensure you have a platform to reconnect this summer – friends from across the province, and new ones across Canada will have a chance to participate. In the late Spring we will launch our Kivita Virtual Youth and Leadership Academy. This will include:
1) A dedicated online space for registered campers to gather with fun events such as ‘evening campfires – singsong, storytelling, other programming (arts and crafts and games night), Special events like Inspirational Speakers and wellness activities, as well as camper-led programs. Please let us know if you want to get involved with the planning.
2) A Leadership Academy for our Leaders In Training (ages 15-18) including dedicated programming and leadership skills training, Peer mentors from former camp graduates/leaders, and inspirational speakers, run virtually via ZOOM platform. If you would like to get involved please reach out to us. We can discuss opportunities for community service or ways to be involved.
We are excited for Summer 2021 and know that summer 2022 will be epic when we are all back together in person. Please take care of yourselves and your families and we will be in touch soon with more details about our virtual plans.
If you want to talk or need further support please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch!
Yours in camping,
Emily, Stacey & Christina
on behalf of the Camp Kivita team